Straw Bale and Timber Frame House Plans
In 2012, we hosted two natural building workshops to help construct our latest project: a timber frame and straw bale house. Here’s a look at the house design and floor plans.
“Strawtron” is a passive solar, straw bale-insulated house with a timber frame, greenhouse for passive heat and extended living space, screened-in north porch, and a 2nd story loft with a west-facing balcony. We have designed the house to use as many natural materials as possible, including straw, timber, earth plaster, and reclaimed flooring. The floor plans were carefully considered to keep the interior space as minimal as possible, while still providing the utmost level of function.
Our ultimate goal has been to make the space and layout as suitable and efficient for this climate as is possible. In northeast Missouri, we have high heat and humidity, freezing cold and snow, blowing winds and strong rains, extremely heavy clay soil, tornadoes, and drought and floods to contend with. This is not an easy place to build!
Timber Frame House Design Features
- Building elements: straw bale insulation, timber frame with local wood (including round wood), concrete pier foundation, living roof, earthen and lime plasters, light clay straw interior wall
- Interior 1st story living area rough dimensions are 13′x24′ (about 300 square feet, east end of house is rounded)
- Greenhouse is planned to be about 10′x14′ — serves as heat source, additional living space with solar shower, sink, etc., & space for growing lovely things
- Spiral staircase leads up to lofted story above main living space, with a walk out to 6 ft. deep balcony on the west
- Sheltered work area under balcony on west
- North porch is screened in, with bed platform for summer sleeping
- Storage area above porch (or additional sleeping space for guests?)
- Heat to be provided by small wood stove (Morso 1410 stove initially), with possible plans for small masonry heater
Free Timber Frame House Building Plans
Here’s a full set of our building plans for the timber frame — including 3D images, floor plans, elevation drawings, etc.: Timber Frame House Floor Plans & Design.
If you find these drawings useful, please contact us and let us know. It’s possible we may make drawings of house beyond the framing elements in the future.
And: check out my Strawtron photo album for a more construction images. (Check them out full size for better quality, by the way.)